Isaac Eliaz, MD, MS, Lac
|1991||Master of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine, American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, San Francisco, CA|
|1988-1989||Graduate studies in Clinical Herbology, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Faculty of Agriculture, External Division|
|1987-1988||Internship at Wolfson Hospital, Holon, Israel|
|1986||Doctor of Medicine, Sackler Medical School, Tel Aviv University, Israel|
|1980-1986||Full-time academic studies at Sackler Medical School|
ADDITIONAL TRAINING AND STUDY
|2015||University of Virginia – Summer Tibetan language intensive|
|2011||Fellowship in Integrative Cancer Therapies – The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine|
|1997-1999||Post Graduate Study in Chinese Language – Private Tutorial|
|1997||Elementary Chinese – University of California, Berkeley|
|1995-2000||Studies of the Ancient and Classical Texts of Chinese Medicine, Private Study Group, San Francisco, California|
|1986-1988||Chinese Medicine – Personal Tutorial with Dr. J. M. Eyssalet|
|1986-1988||Acupuncture, Tel Aviv, Israel|
|1983-1985||Shiatsu and Japanese Manipulation Therapy|
|1983||Yoga Teaching Certification Program, Bror Hail, Israel|
|1974-1975||Taekwondo, Black belt, Seoul, Korea|
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
|2005||Licensed Homeopathic Medical Physician, State of Arizona|
|2000||Licensed Physician, State of California|
|2000||U.S. Medical Licensing Examination, Part III, CA|
|1999-2000||U.S. Medical Residency in Family Practice Medicine, Modesto, CA|
|1994-1995||U.S. Medical Licensing Examination, Parts I and II, CA|
|1992||Licensed Acupuncturist, State of California|
|1991||Diplomat in Acupuncture, National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncturists|
|1988||Licensed Physician, Israel|
|2001-Present||Private Practice in Integrative Medicine – Amitabha Medical Clinic and Healing Center, Santa Rosa, CA.|
|2000-2001||Private Practice in Medicine – Lucas Valley Clinic, San Rafael, CA.|
|1997-1999||Director of Lucas Valley Clinic, San Rafael, CA. Integrated treatment modalities including traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture, and nutrition.|
|1993-1997||Private Practice in Acupuncture – Preventive Medicine Center of Marin, San Rafael, CA|
|1992-1993||Private Practice in Acupuncture, Sonoma and Berkeley, CA|
|1988-1999||Private Practice in Medicine, Israel|
|1989-present||Research and development of modified citrus pectin and other nutraceuticals and nutritional supplements, including preparations for prostate, cellular, immune, metabolic and other areas of health. Designed and implemented preclinical and clinical trials that evaluated the efficacy of these preparations. Research published in peer review journals, presented in multiple medical conferences, and written in peer review text books.Research collaborations include the following research and academic institutions: Harvard University/Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston University/Boston Medical Center/NIH, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Columbia University, Hull University (UK), Johns Hopkins University, Mayo Clinic, MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, Meir Medical Center (Israel), Nanjing University (China), Technion-Israel Institute of Technology (Israel), Tel Aviv University (Israel), Tufts University, USDA-ARS, University of California, Davis, University of Groningen (Netherlands), University of Indiana, University of Kansas. A primary focus has been research and development of the plant-based galectin-3 inhibitor PectaSol-C-Modified Citrus Pectin (MCP). Dr. Eliaz is recognized internationally as a foremost expert on galectin-3 and the use of MCP in clinical practice. Over 40 scientific papers have been published evaluating the use of PectaSol-C, demonstrating its ability to inhibit inflammation and fibrosis in multiple organs and inhibit cancer proliferation, angiogenesis, adhesion and metastasis. Currently there are two active clinical trials in process evaluating the use of MCP in specific patient populations as follows: Effect of Modified Citrus Pectin on PSA Kinetics in Biochemical Relapsed PC With Serial Increases in PSA https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01681823 Galectin-3 Blockade in Patients With High Blood Pressure https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01960946|
PUBLICATIONS and POSTERS
- Eliaz I, Weil E, Schwarzbach J, Wilk B. Modified Citrus Pectin / Alginate Dietary Supplement Increased Fecal Excretion of Uranium: A Family. Altern Ther Health Med. 2019;25(4):20-24.
- Eliaz I, and Sliva D. BreastDefend Enhances Effect of Tamoxifen in Estrogen Receptor-positive Human Breast Cancer in Vitro and in Vivo. International Conference on Cancer Research 2019. London, UK. June 2019.
- Eliaz I. Letter to the Editor: Not all modified citrus pectins are the same: size does matter. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2019 May 1;316(5):H1232-H1233.
- Dresler H, Frenkel MA, Peer A, Rosenbaum E, Margel D, Sarid DL, Neiman V, Gottfried M, NMaimon N, Leibovitch I, Keizman D, Eliaz I. Effect of PectaSol-C Modified Citrus Pectin Treatment on PSA Dynamics in Non-Metastatic Biochemically Relapsed Prostate Cancer Patients: Results of a Prospective Phase II Study. Poster Session:10th European Multidisciplinary Congress on Urological Cancers. Amsterdam, Netherlands. Nov. 2018.
- Eliaz I. Effect of Modified Citrus Pectin Treatment on Psa Dynamics In Non-Metastatic Biochemically Relapsed Prostate Cancer Patients: Interim Results of a Phase IIb Study – The 8th International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology. Cleveland, OH. Nov. 2018.
- Navarro-Alvarez N, Goncalves B, Andrews A, Wang Z, Wang, Z, Harrington E, Jigesh Shah J, Weil E, Wilk B, Sachs DH, Eliaz I, Huang CA. The effects of galectin-3 depletion apheresis on induced skin inflammation in a porcine model. J Clin Apher. 2018 Aug;33(4):486-493.
- Conti S, Vexler A, Hagoel L, Corn BW, Nir Honig N, Shtraus N, Meir Y, Ron I, Eliaz E, Lev-Aria S. Modified citrus pectin as a potential sensitizer for radiotherapy in prostate cancer phytomedicine. Integr Cancer Ther. 2018 Jul 25:1534735418790382.
- Keizman D, Frenkel MA, Peer A, Rosenbaum E, Margel D, Sarid DL, Neiman V, Gottfried M, Maimon N, Leibovitch I, Dresler H, Eliaz I. Effect of PectaSol-C modified citrus pectin (P-MCP) treatment (tx) on PSA dynamics in patients (pts) with nonmetastatic, biochemically relapsed prostate cancer (BRPC): Results of the interim analysis of a prospective phase II study. Poster Session: 2018 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium J Clin Oncol 36, 2018 (suppl 6S; abstr 14)
- Eliaz I, Weil E, Wilk B. Improvements in self-reported lower urinary tract symptoms with prostate health supplement. Altern Ther Health Med. 2018 Feb 10. pii: AT5449.
- Eliaz I, Pail A, Navarro-Alvarez N, Wang Z, Eliaz A, Weil E, Wilk B, Sachs DH, Huang CA. Methods for the detection and serum depletion of porcine galectin-3. J Clin Apher. 2018 Dec;39(12):1885-1893.
- Cheng S, Castillo V, Welty W, Alvarado M, Eliaz I, Temm CJ, Sandusky GE, Sliva D. BreastDefend enhances effect of tamoxifen in estrogen receptor-positive human breast cancer in vitro and in vivo. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017 Feb; 17: 115.
- Ramachandran C, Wilk BJ, Melnick SJ, Eliaz I. Synergistic antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects between modified citrus pectin and honokiol. eCAM. 2017;2017:8379843.
- Ramachandran C, Wilk BJ, Melnick SJ, Eliaz I. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of a polybotanical multinutrient formula. BMR Phytomedicine. 2017 Mar;3(1):1-10.
- Cheng S, Castillo V, Welty M, Eliaz I, Sliva D. Honokiol inhibits migration of renal cell carcinoma through activation of RhoA/ROCK/MLC signaling pathway. Inter J Oncol. 2016 September. Prepublished.
- Zhang Q, Zhao W, Ye C, Zhuang J, Chang C, Li Y, Huang X, Shen L, Li Y, Cui Y, Song J, Shen B, Eliaz I, Huang R, Ying H, Guo H, Yan J. Honokiol inhibits bladder tumor growth by suppressing EZH2/miR-143 axis. Oncotarget. 2015 Nov 10;6(35):37335-48.
- Eliaz I, Weil E, Dutton J, McCalley AE, Nolte B, Moriarty PM. Lipoprotein apheresis reduces circulating galectin-3 in humans. J Clin Apheresis. 2016 Aug;31(4):388-92.
- Cheng S, Swanson K, Eliaz I, McClintick J, Terry C, Sandusky GE, Sliva D. Pachymic acid inhibits growth and induces apoptosis of pancreatic cancer in vitro and in vivo by targeting ER stress. PLoS One. 2015 2015 Apr 27;10(4):e0122270.
- Cheng S, Castillo V, Eliaz I Sliva D. Honokiol suppresses metastasis of renal cell carcinoma by targeting KISS1/KISS1R signaling. Intern. J Oncol. 2015 Apr; doi: 10.3892/ijo.2015.2950.
- Cheng S, Alvarado M, Loganathan J, Castillo V, Sandusky G, Eliaz I, Sliva D. BreastDefend enhances the effects of tamoxifen in estrogen receptor-positive human breast cancer in vitro and animal models in vivo. Poster Session: American Association for Cancer Research. Philadelphia, PA. Apr. 2015.
- Conti S, Vexler A, Eliaz I, Koren B, Honig N, Shtraus N, Meir Y, Ilan R, Lev-Ari S. Combined effect of modified citrus pectin and ionizing radiation on survival and metastatic activity of prostate cancer cells. Poster Session: American Association for Cancer Research. Philadelphia, PA. Apr. 2015.
- Zhang Q, Zhao W, Ye C, Chang C, Li Y, Huang X, Zhuang J, Song J, Cui Y, Shen B, Eliaz I, Huang R, Ying H, Yan J, Guo H. Honokiol inhibits bladder tumor growth by suppressing EZH2/miR-143 axis. Poster Session: American Association for Cancer Research. Philadelphia, PA. Apr. 2015.
- Khan A, Marier D, Marsden E, Andrews D, Eliaz I. A novel form of dichloroacetate therapy for patients with advanced cancer: a report of 3 cases. Altern Ther Health Med. 2014 Oct;20 Suppl 2:2-8.
- Eliaz I, Weil, E. Clinical benefit in patients with solid tumors treated with intravenous honokiol: A prospective pilot study. Poster Session: 11th International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology. Houston, TX. Oct. 2014.
- Eliaz I. The use of biomarker and therapeutic target galectin-3 in integrative oncology: A clinical model of individualized treatment. Poster Session: 11th International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology. Houston, TX. Oct. 2014.
- Sliva D, Cheng S, Castillo V, Eliaz I. Integrative botanicals in the treatment of cancer: Purified compounds vs. whole herbal preparations. Poster Session: 11th International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology. Houston, TX. Oct. 2014.
- Eliaz I, McKee D. Galectin-3 as an oncological biomarker. Natural Medicine Journal. 2014 Sept; 6(9).
- Cheng S, Welty M, Elia I, Castillo V Sliva D. Honokiol inhibits growth and migration of renal carcinoma. Poster Session, American Association for Cancer Research. San Diego, CA. Apr- 2014.
- Eliaz I. An integrative approach to enhancing cognition and executive brain function: A personal perspective. Alternative and Complementary Therapies. 2014 Feb; 20(1): 27-30.
- Eliaz I. Human microbiome and nutrition: Untapped clinical potential awaits. Altern Ther Health Med. 2014 Jan;20(S1):58-60.
- Eliaz I. The role of galectin-3 as a marker of cancer and inflammation in a stage IV ovarian cancer patient with underlying pro-inflammatory comorbidities. Case Rep Oncol 2013;6:343-349.
- Eliaz I. Honokiol Research Review. Natural Medicine Journal. 2013 July; (5)7.
- Eliaz I. Cheng, S., Eliaz, I., Lin, J., Sliva, D. Triterpenes from Poria cocos suppress growth and invasiveness of pancreatic cancer cells through the downregulation of MMP-7. Int J Oncol. 2013 Jun;42(6):1869-74.
- Cheng S, lin JF, Eliaz I, Sliva D. Triterpenes from mushroom Poria cocos inhibit growth and invasiveness of pancreatic cancer cells. Poster Session: American Association for Cancer Research. Washington, DC. Apr. 2013.
- Eliaz I. Modified citrus pectin and galectin-3 and their role in health and illness. Anti-Aging Therapeutics. Volume 14, 2012: Chapter 10, p. 69-78.
- Eliaz I. Cold and flu: a pound of prevention. Occup Health Saf. 2012 Nov;81(11):40-42.
- Eliaz I, Fritz,H. Galectin-3: An emerging treatment target; role of MCP. IHP. 2012 Sept:52-57.
- Jiang J, Thyagarajan-Sahu A, Loganathan J, Eliaz I, Terry C, Sandusky GE, Sliva D. BreastDefend prevents breast-to-lung cancer metastases in an orthotopic animal model of triple-negative human breast cancer. 2012 Oncol Rep 28:1139-1145.
- Jiang J, Eliaz I, Sliva D. Synergistic and additive effects of modified citrus pectin with two novel poly botanical compounds, in the suppression of invasive behavior of human breast and prostate cancer cells. Integr Cancer Ther. 2013;12:145-152.
- Jiang J, Thyagarajan-Sahu1A, Loganathan J, Eliaz I, Terry C, Sandusky G.E, Sliva, D. BreastDefend suppresses growth and breast-to-lung cancer metastasis in an orthotopic model of human breast cancer. Poster Session, American Association for Cancer Research. Chicago, IL. Apr-May 2012.
- Jiang J, Loganathan J, Eliaz I, Terry C., Sandusky G.E., Sliva D. ProstaCaid inhibits tumor growth in a xenograft model of human prostate cancer. Int J Oncol. 2012 May;40(5): 1675-1682.
- Eliaz I. Stay healthy on the job this cold & flu season. Occup Health Saf. 2011 Nov;80(11):36-8.
- Eliaz I. A new breakthrough on modified citrus pectin and the role of galectin-3 in health & disease. Poster Session, 8th International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology. Cleveland, OH, Nov 2011.
- Eliaz I. Integrative medicine and the role of modified citrus pectin and poly botanicals in cancer prevention and treatment. Intern. J. Mol. Med. 2011, 28 (sup. 1), 176 (S23).
- Ramachandran C, Wilk BJ, Hotchkiss A, Chau H, Eliaz I, Melnick SJ. Activation of human T-helper/inducer cell, T-cytotoxic cell, B-cell, and natural killer (NK)-cells and induction of natural killer cell activity against K562 chronic myeloid leukemia cells with modified citrus pectin. BMC Complem. Altern. Med. 2011, 11:59.
- Jiang J, Eliaz E, Sliva D. Suppression of growth and invasive behavior of human prostate cancer cells by ProstaCaid: Mechanism of activity. Intern. J Oncol. 2011 Jun;38(6):1675-82.
- Eliaz I, Yan J, Katz A, Wojnowski R, Jaing J, Jedinak A, Sliva D, Wilk B. The role and synergistic effects of modified citrus pectin & poly botanical formulas in the fight against cancer. Poster Session, Jerusalem International Conference on Integrative Medicine. Jerusalem, Israel, Oct. 2010.
- Hotchkiss AT, Rastall R, Gibson G, Eliaz I, Liu LS, Fishman M. 2009. New bioactive and biobased product applications of pectin. Book Chapter in Pectins and Pectinases. H. A. Schols, R. G. F. Visser, A. G. J. Voragen (Eds.), Wageningen Academic Publisher, Wageningen, The Netherlands, pp. 305-312.
- Zhao ZY, Liang L, Fan X, Yu Z, Hotchkiss AT, Wilk BJ, Eliaz I. The role of modified citrus pectin as an effective chelator of lead in children hospitalized with toxic lead levels. Altern Ther Health Med. 2008 July/Aug; 14(4): 34-38.
- Eliaz I, Weil E, Wilk B. Integrative medicine and the role of modified citrus pectin/alginates in heavy metal chelation and detoxification – five case reports. Forsch Komplementarmed. 2007 Dec; 14 (6): 358-364.
- Eliaz I, Hotchkiss AT, Fishman ML, Rode D. The effect of modified citrus pectin on urinary excretion of toxic metals. Phytotherapy Research. 2006; 20: 859–864.
- Eliaz I, Gaurdino J, Hughes K. The health benefits of modified citrus pectin: in Patil BS, Brodbelt JS, Miller EG, and Turner ND (ed.): Potential Health Benefits of Citrus. ACS Symposium Series 936. Oxford University Press. 2006: Chapter 15, p.199-210.
- Eliaz I. Modified citrus pectin decreases the total body burden of mercury: A pilot human clinical trial. 228th ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA. August 2004.
- Eliaz I, Rosenbaum M. The role of padma basic, a tibetan based herbal formula, in circulatory and cardiovascular disease. Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, Aug. – Sept. 2003.
- Eliaz I, Rode D. The effect of modified citrus pectin on the urinary excretion of toxic elements. Poster Session, Fifth Annual Conference of Environmental Health Scientists: Nutritional Toxicology and Metabolomic, University of California, Davis. Aug. 2003.
- Eliaz I. The role of modified citrus pectin in the prevention of cancer metastasis, Clinical Practice of Alternative Medicine, Volume 2, Number 3, Fall 2001.
- Eliaz I. Integrative medicine and prostate cancer, Clinical Practice of Alternative Medicine, Volume 2, Number 3, Fall 2001.
- Geller J, Barken I, Eliaz I. The effects of two soy preparations on PSA levels in patients with prostate cancer and the correlation of PSA changes with plasma genistein. Poster Session, Third International Symposium on the Role of Soy in Preventing and Treating Chronic Disease, Nov. 1999.
- Eliaz I. The role of modified citrus pectin in the prevention of cancer metastasis; Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, July 1999.
- Strum S, Scholz M, McDermed J, McCulloch M, Eliaz I. Modified citrus pectin slows PSA doubling time: A pilot clinical trial. Poster Session, International Conference on Diet and Prevention of Cancer, Tampere, Finland, May 1999.
- Weiss T, McCulloch M, Eliaz I. Modified citrus pectin induces cytotoxicity in co-cultures with human endothelial monolayers. Poster Session, International Conference on Diet and Prevention of Cancer, Tampere, Finland, May 1999.
- Eliaz I. Conversion to terminal melanized hair with a 7.5% herbal preparation: A double blind study. Oral Presentation, Society of Cosmetic Chemists, Annual Scientific Seminar, Chicago, May 6-7, 1999.
- Katz M, Eliaz I, Greenberg J. Conversion of vellous hair to terminal hair and remelanization – double blind clinical trial. Poster Session, American Academy of Dermatology, March 1999 Annual Meeting, New Orleans.
- Eliaz I. The role of modified citrus pectin in inhibition of cancer metastasis. Explore! Volume 9, Oct. 1998.
- Greenberg J, Katz M, Eliaz I. Treatment of androgenetic alopecia with HairPrime – a 7.5% herbal extract; Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, Nov. 1996, 68-72.
- Eliaz I, Drucker Y. Teeth marks on the tongue, the oriental point of view. American Academy of Dermatology, Oct. 1989; 21.4, I, 817-818.
- Greenberg J, Katz M, Eliaz I. Treatment of androgenetic alopecia with a 7.5% herbal extract – double blind clinical trial. Poster Session, American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Feb. 1996.
- Khan A. Case report of long term complete remission of metastatic renal squamous cell carcinoma after palliative radiotherapy and adjuvant dichloroacetate. Advances in Cancer: Research & Treatment. 2012 Vol. 2012, Article ID 441895, DOI: 10.5171/2012.441895.
- Jiang J, Wojnowski R, Jedinak A, Sliva D. Suppression of proliferation and invasive behavior of human metastatic breast cancer cells by dietary supplement BreastDefend. Integr Cancer Ther. 2011 Jun;10(2):192-200.
- Jiang J, Sliva D. Novel medicinal mushroom blend suppresses growth and invasiveness of human breast cancer cells. Intern. J Oncol. 2010;37:1529-1536.
- Yan J, Katz A.E. ProstaCaid induces G2/M cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human and mouse androgen-dependent and-independent prostate cancer cells. Integr Cancer Ther. 2010 Jun;9(2):186-96.
- Yan J, Katz A. PectaSol-C modified citrus pectin induces apoptosis and inhibition of proliferation in human and mouse androgen-dependent and- independent prostate cancer cells. Integr Cancer Ther. 2010 Jun;9(2):197-203.
THIRD PARTY PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS ON COMPOUNDS
- Martínez-Martínez E, Brugnolaro C, Ibarrola J, Ravassa S, Buonafine M, López B, Fernández-Celis A, Querejeta R, Santamaria E, Fernández-Irigoyen J, Rábago G, Moreno MU, Jaisser F, Díez J, González A, López-Andrés N. CT-1 (Cardiotrophin-1)-Gal-3 (Galectin-3) Axis in Cardiac Fibrosis and Inflammation. Hypertension. 2019 Mar;73(3):602-611.
- Li HY, Yang S, Li JC, Feng JX. Galectin 3 inhibition attenuates renal injury progression in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Biosci Rep. 2018 Dec 18;38(6). pii: BSR20181803.
- Merheb R, Abdel-Massih RM, Karam MC. Immunomodulatory effect of natural and modified citrus pectin on cytokine levels in the spleen of BALB/c mice. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018 Oct 3;121:1-5.
- Nishikawa H, Liu L, Nakano F, Kawakita F, Kanamaru H, Nakatsuka Y, Okada T, Suzuki H. Modified citrus pectin prevents blood-brain barrier disruption in mouse cubarachnoid hemorrhage by inhibiting galectin-3 2018;0:STROKEAHA.118.021757.
- Seely D, Ennis JK, McDonell E, Zhao L. Naturopathic oncology care for thoracic cancers: a practice survey. Integr Cancer Ther. 2018 Sep;17(3):793-805.
- Abrams DI. An integrative approach to prostate cancer. J Altern Complement Med. 2018 Sep/Oct;24(9-10):872-880.
- Wu KL, Kuo CM, Huang EY, Pan HM, Huang CC, Chen YF, Hsiao CC, Yang KD. Extracellular galectin-3 facilitates colon cancer cell migration and is related to the epidermal growth factor receptor. Am J Transl Res. 2018 Aug 15;10(8):2402-2412. eCollection 2018.
- Ibarrola J, Arrieta V, Sádaba R, Martinez-Martinez E, Garcia-Peña A, Alvarez V, Fernández-Celis A, Gainza A, Santamaría E, Fernández-Irigoyen J, Cachofeiro V, Zalba G, Fay R, Rossignol P, López-Andrés N. Galectin-3 down-regulates antioxidant peroxiredoxin-4 in human cardiac fibroblasts: a new pathway to induce cardiac damage. Clin Sci (Lond). 2018 Jul 18;132(13):1471-1485.
- Tan H, Chen W, Liu Q, Yang G, Li K. Pectin oligosaccharides ameliorate colon cancer by regulating oxidative stress- and inflammation-activated signaling pathways. Front Immunol. 2018 Jun 27;9:1504.
- Fang T, Liu DD, Ning HM, Dan Liu, Sun JY, Huang XJ, Dong Y, Geng MY, Yun SF, Yan J, Huang RM. Modified citrus pectin inhibited bladder tumor growth through downregulation of galectin-3. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2018 May 16.
- Marín-Royo G, Gallardo I, Martínez-Martínez E, Gutiérrez B, Jurado-López R, López-Andrés N, Gutiérrez-Tenorio J, Rial E, Bartolomé MAV, Nieto ML, Cachofeiro V. Inhibition of galectin-3 ameliorates the consequences of cardiac lipotoxicity in a rat model of diet-induced obesity. Dis Model Mech. 2018 Feb 5;11(2). pii: dmm032086.
- Martínez-Martínez E, Ibarrola J, Fernández-Celis A, Calvier L, Leroy C, Cachofeiro V, Rossignol P, López-Andrés N. Galectin-3 pharmacological inhibition attenuates early renal damage in spontaneously hypertensive rats. J Hypertens. 2018 Feb;36(2):368-376.
- Fernandez-García CE, Tarin C, Roldan-Montero R, Martinez-Lopez D, Torres-Fonseca M, Lindhot JS, Vega de Ceniga M, Egido J, Lopez-Andres N, Blanco-Colio LM, Martín-Ventura JL. Increased galectin-3 levels are associated with abdominal aortic aneurysm progression and inhibition of galectin-3 decreases elastase-induced AAA development. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017 Nov 6;131(22):2707-2719.
- Shen L, Zhang F, Huang R, Yan J, Shen B. Honokiol inhibits bladder cancer cell invasion through repressing SRC-3 expression and epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Oncol Lett. 2017 Oct;14(4):4294-4300. doi: 10.3892/ol.2017.6665. Epub 2017 Jul 25.
- Ried K, Eng P, Sali A. Screening for circulating tumour cells allows early detection of cancer and monitoring of treatment effectiveness: an observational study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2017 Aug 27;18(8):2275-2285.
- Ibarrola J, Martínez-Martínez E, Sádaba JR, Arrieta V, García-Peña A, Álvarez V, Fernández-Celis A, Gainza A, Rossignol P, Cachofeiro Ramos V, López-Andrés N. Beneficial effects of galectin-3 blockade in vascular and aortic valve alterations in an experimental pressure overload model. Int J Mol Sci. 2017 Jul 31;18(8). pii: E1664. doi:
- Lu Y, Zhang M, Zhao P, Jia M, Liu B, Jia Q, Guo J, Dou L, Li J. Modified citrus pectin inhibits galectin-3 function to reduce atherosclerotic lesions in apoE-deficient mice. Mol Med Rep. 2017 Jul;16(1):647-653. doi: 10.3892/mmr.2017.6646. Epub 2017 May 29.
- Arrieta V, Martinez-Martinez E, Ibarrola J, Alvarez V, Sádaba R, Garcia-Peña A, Fernández-Celis A, Cachofeiro V, Rossignol P, López-Andrés N. A role for galectin-3 in the development of early molecular alterations in short-term aortic stenosis. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017 May 1;131(10):935-949.
- Dahdouh E, El-Khatib S, Baydoun E, Abdel-Massih RM. Additive effect of MCP in combination with cefotaxime against Staphylococcus aureus. Med Chem. 2017;13(7):682-688.
- Martinez-Martinez E, Ibarrola J, Calvier L, Fernandez-Celis A, Leroy C, Cachofeiro V, Rossignol P, Lopez-Andres N. Galectin-3 blockade reduces renal fibrosis in two normotensive experimental models of renal damage. PLoS One. 2016 Nov 9;11(11):e0166272.
- Sádaba JR, Martínez-Martínez E, Arrieta V, Álvarez V, Fernández-Celis A, Ibarrola J, Melero A, Rossignol P, Cachofeiro V, López-Andrés N. Role for galectin-3 in calcific aortic valve stenosis. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016 Nov 4;5(11). pii: e004360.
- Martínez-Martínez E, Calvier L, Rossignol P, Rousseau E, Fernández-Celis A, Jurado-López R, Laville M, Cachofeiro V, López-Andrés N. Galectin-3 inhibition prevents adipose tissue remodelling in obesity. Int J Obes (Lond). 2016 Jun;40(6):1034-8.
- Abu-Elsaad NM, Elkashef WF. Modified citrus pectin stops progression of liver fibrosis by inhibiting galectin-3 and inducing apoptosis of stellate cells. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2016 May;94(5):554-62.
- Vergaro G, Prud’homme M, Fazal L, Merval R, Passino C, Emdin M, Samuel JL, Cohen Solal A, Delcayre C. Inhibition of galectin-3 pathway prevents isoproterenol-induced left ventricular dysfunction and fibrosis in mice. Hypertension. 2016 Mar;67(3):606-12.
- Ma Z, Han Q, Wang X, Ai Z, Zheng Y. Galectin-3 inhibition is associated with neuropathic pain attenuation after peripheral nerve injury. PLoS One. 2016 Feb 12;11(2):e0148792.
- Martínez-Martínez E, López-Ándres N, Jurado-López R, Rousseau E, Bartolomé MV, Fernández-Celis A, Rossignol P, Islas F, Antequera A, Prieto S, Luaces M, Cachofeiro V. Galectin-3 participates in cardiovascular remodeling associated with obesity. Hypertension. 2015 Nov;66(5):961-9.
- Martínez-Martínez E, Calvier L, Fernández-Celis A, Rousseau E, Jurado-López R, Rossoni LV, Jaisser F, Zannad F, Rossignol P, Cachofeiro V, López-Andrés N. Galectin-3 blockade inhibits cardiac inflammation and fibrosis in experimental hyperaldosteronism and hypertension. Hypertension. 2015 Oct;66(4):767-75.
- Odun-Ayo F, Mellem J, Naicker T, Reddy L. Chemoprevention of azoxymethane-induced colonic carcinogenesis in Balb/c mice using a modified pectin alginate probiotic. Anticancer Res. 2015 Sep;35(9):4765-75.
- Arad U, Madar-Balakirski N, Angel-Korman A, Amir S, Tzadok S, Segal O, Menachem A, Gold A, Elkayam O, Caspi D. Galectin-3 is a sensor-regulator of toll-like receptor pathways in synovial fibroblasts. Cytokine. 2015 May;73(1):30-5.
- Calvier L, Martinez-Martinez E, Miana M, Cachofeiro V, Rousseau E, Sádaba JR, Zannad F, Rossignol P, López-Andrés N. The impact of galectin-3 inhibition on aldosterone-induced cardiac and renal injuries. JACC Heart Fail. 2015 Jan;3(1):59-67.
- Calvier L, Miana M, Reboul P, Cachofeiro V, Martinez-Martinez E, de Boer RA, Poirier F, Lacolley P, Zannad F, Rossignol P, López-Andrés N. Galectin-3 mediates aldosterone-induced vascular fibrosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013 Jan;33(1):67-75.
- Hossein G, Keshavarz M, Ahmadi S, Naderi N. Synergistic effects of PectaSol-C modified citrus pectin an inhibitor of Galectin-3 and paclitaxel on apoptosis of human SKOV-3 ovarian cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013;14(12):7561-8.
- Kolatsi-Joannou M, Price KL, Winyard PJ, Long DA. Modified citrus pectin reduces galectin-3 expression and disease severity in experimental acute kidney injury. PLoS One. 2011 Apr 8;6(4):e18683.
- Liu HY, Huang ZL, Yang GH, Lu WQ, Yu NR. Inhibitory effect of modified citrus pectin on liver metastases in a mouse colon cancer model. World J Gastroenterol. 2008 Dec 28;14(48):7386-91.
TEACHING and SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
|2012-present||Semi-annual Meditation and Healing retreats in Israel, 4-9 days each. Total of 1,500 participants.|
|Feb 2018||Lecture: Meditative Minds – Open Heart: Enhancing Healing Capacity for Practitioners. Integrative Healthcare Symposium (IHS). New York, NY.|
|Feb 2018||Lecture: Galectin-3, a Conductor in the Cancer Driving Orchestra: Its role in inflammation, fibrosis, metabolic pathways & immunity. Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians (OncANP.) Tempe, AZ.|
|Oct 2017||Lecture: Addressing Galectin-3, the Conductor of Inflammation, Fibrosis, and Cancer. Nevada Homeopathic and Integrated Medical Association (NHIMA). Reno, NV.|
|May 2017||Lecture: The Role of Galectin-3 Removal in Inflammatory and Fibrotic Diseases. The 11th International Society For Apheresis (ISFA) Congress. Copenhagen, Denmark.|
|Mar. 2017||Lecture: Innovative Therapies and Compounds in the Treatment of Cancer. 11th Annual Complementary & Alternative Cancer Therapies Conference. West Palm Beach, FL.|
|Jan. 2017||Webinar: In-Depth Detoxification: An Integrative Approach. Hosted by Better Health Publishing.|
|Nov. 2016||Webinar: Innovative Approaches to Lyme Disease. Hosted by Better Health Publishing.|
|Nov. 2016||Poster Presentation: Enhanced Effects of Artemisia annua Derivatives, International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) Conference, Philadelphia, PA.|
|Oct. 2016||Webinar: Clinically Research Solution to Detox: Beyond Phase 1 & 2. Hosted by Better Health Publishing.|
|Sep. 2016||Webinar: Optimizing Integrative Oncology: A Comprehensive Model for Individualized Cancer Treatment. Hosted by Better Health Publishing.|
|Sep. 2016||Lecture: Galectin-3: A Master Modulator of Risk for Cardiovascular Disease, Cancer, Inflammation & Fibrosis. ACAM 2016. Tucson, AZ.|
|Sep. 2016||Lecture: Modified Citrus Pectin In The Prevention, Control & Spread of Cancer. 44th Annual Cancer Convention, Cancer Control Society. Universal City, CA.|
|July 2016||Webinar: Galectin-3: The Aging Biomarker. Hosted by Better Health Publishing.|
|May 2016||Lecture: Optimizing Integrative Oncology: A Comprehensive Model for Individualized Treatment. 14th Annual International Integrative Oncology Conference. San Diego, CA.|
|Mar. 2016||Lecture: Galectin-3 Removal by Apheresis: Significance and Clinical Applications. UCSD Frontiers in Apheresis. San Diego, CA.|
|Feb. 2016||Lecture: Targeting Inflammation and Growth Factors in Cancer Treatment with Botanicals and Therapeutic Apheresis. 10th Annual Complementary & Alternative Cancer Therapies Conference. West Palm Beach, FL.|
|May 2015||Lecture: An ex vivo Clinical Study Demonstrates Lipoprotein Apheresis Reduces Levels of Circulating Galectin-3. American Society for Apheresis (ASFA), San Antonio, TX.|
|May 2015||Lecture: Apheresis Can Reduce Circulating Levels of the Cancer and Inflammation Promoting Factors Galectin-3 and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor in Humans. International Society For Apheresis (ISFA). Cuncun, MX.|
|Nov. 2014||Lecture: Smart Life Forum/Silicon Valley Health Institute, Palo Alto, CA. – Fighting Cancer Metastasis and Heavy Metal Toxicities with Modified Citrus Pectin.|
|Nov. 2014||Workshop: Meditation and Healing Retreat, Yehiam, Israel.|
|Aug. 2014||Lecture: Redwood Regional Oncology Center, Santa Rosa, CA – Principles of Integrative Oncology.|
|July 2014||Workshop: Meditation, Transformation and Healing Retreat, Santa Rosa, CA.|
|Mar. 2014||Workshop: Meditation and Healing Retreat, Emek Hefer, Israel.|
|Nov. 2013||Keynote Address: 2013 NDO Naturopathic Conference Ontario, Canada. – A New Paradigm in Anti-Aging Medicine: Addressing Galectin-3 in Cancer and Chronic Disease.|
|July 2013||Lecture: 2013 AANP Naturopathic Conference, Keystone, CO. – The Active Role of Biomarker Galectin-3 in Cancer, Heart Disease, Inflammation and Fibrosis.|
|Feb. 2013||Lecture: 2013 OncANP Naturopathic Oncology Conference, Phoenix, AZ. – Honokiol Review.|
|Feb. 2013||Workshop: Meditation, Transformation and Healing Retreat, Santa Rosa, CA.|
|Nov. 2012||Webinar: Santa Rosa, CA. – Principles of Integrative Oncology.|
|Nov. 2012||Webinar: Santa Rosa, CA. – How Your Gums Can Cause Cancer: Understanding the Oral/Systemic Connection.|
|Nov. 2012||Workshop: Meditation, Transformation and Healing – Meditation Retreat Seminar, Tel Aviv, Israel.|
|Sept. 2012||Workshop: Meditation, Transformation and Healing – Meditation Retreat Seminar, Santa Rosa, CA.|
|Aug. 2012||Lecture: 244th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Philadelphia, PA – Galectin-3 and the Role of Modified Citrus Pectin in Health and Disease.|
|Jun. 2012||Lecture: Second International Congress on Complementary Oncology, Munich, Germany – Galectin-3 and the Role of Modified Citrus Pectin in Cancer and Beyond.|
|Jun. 2012||Lecture: Second International Congress on Complementary Oncology, Munich, Germany – Integrative Approaches to Prostate Cancer.|
|April 2012||The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M) Fellowship in Integrative Cancer Therapies, Phoenix, AZ – Principles of Integrative Oncology: Evaluation of Cancer Risk, and Strategies for Prevention.|
|Feb. 2012||Lecture: 2012 OncANP Naturopathic Oncology Conference, Phoenix, Arizona – Galectin-3 and the Role of Modified Citrus Pectin and Botanicals in Integrative Oncology.|
|Dec. 2011||Keynote Address: A4M, 19th Annual World Congress on Anti-Aging Medicine & Regenerative Biomedical Technologies, Las Vegas, NV –A New Breakthrough on Modified Citrus Pectin and Galectin-3 and their Roles in Health and Illness.|
|Nov. 2011||Lecture: Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors Convention 2011, Toronto, Canada – Modified Citrus Pectin and Polybotanicals – Integrative Breakthroughs in Cancer Treatment.|
|Nov. 2011||Workshop: 8th International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology, Cleveland, OH – Meditation and Healing – Finding an Open Heart in Integrative Oncology.|
|Oct. 2011||Lecture: Baden Baden Medical Conference, Baden Baden, Germany – Galectin-3 and the Role of Modified Citrus Pectin and Beyond.|
|Oct. 2011||16th World Congress on Advances in Oncology and 14th International Symposium on Molecular Medicine, Rhodes, Greece – Co-Chair: Molecular Oncology/Cancer Prevention Session– Integrative Medicine and the Role of Modified Citrus Pectin and Poly Botanicals in Cancer Treatment and Prevention.|
|Sept. 2011||Lecture: 39th Annual Cancer Control Society Convention, Los Angeles, CA. Lecture: Modified Citrus Pectin in the Prevention, Control and Spread of Cancer.|
|Sept. 2011||Keynote Address.2011 Tiger Lily Foundation 3rd Annual Young Women’s Breast Health Day on Capitol Hill and Congressional Reception, Washington, DC.|
|Sept. 2011||Meditation Retreat Seminar, Petaluma, CA – Meditation, Transformation and Healing.|
|Sept. 2011||A4M, Fellowship in Integrative Cancer Therapies, Dallas, TX – Meditation and Healing: Finding an Open Heart in Integrative Oncology.|
|June 2011||A4M, Fellowship in Integrative Cancer Therapies, Las Vegas, NV- Integrative Approaches to Cancer Therapy.|
|March 2011||A4M, Fellowship in Integrative Cancer Therapies, Boca Raton, FL- Integrative Approaches to Prostate Cancer.|
|Oct. 2010||Jerusalem International Conference on Integrative Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel- The Role & Synergistic Effects of Modified Citrus Pectin & Poly Botanical Formulas in the Fight Against Cancer.|
|Oct. 2010||Jerusalem International Conference on Integrative Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel- Integrative Approaches to Mediation and Healing.|
|Dec. 2010||A4M, 18th Annual World Congress on Anti-Aging Medicine & Regenerative Biomedical Technologies, Las Vegas, NV- Integrative Approaches to Detoxification.|
|Dec. 2009||A4M, 17th Annual World Congress on Anti-Aging Medicine & Regenerative Biomedical Technologies, Las Vegas, NV- Integrative Medicine in the prevention and treatment of Prostate Cancer.|
|Oct. 2007||NANP, Rohnert Park, CA|
|April 2007||Acupuncture & Integrative Medical College, Berkeley, CA.|
|Oct. 2006||NANP, Rohnert Park, CA.|
|May 2006||Health Medical Institute, Lafayette, CA.|
|April 2006||Acupuncture & Integrative Medical College, Berkeley, CA|
|Aug. 2005||American Academy of Naturopathic Physicians, Phoenix, AZ.|
|April 2005||California State Oriental Medical Association Exposition, San Francisco, CA.|
|April 2005||Heel, Santa Monica, CA.|
|Mar. 2005||American Chemical Society, San Diego, CA.|
|Jan. 2005||SCRIPPS, San Diego, CA.|
|Sept. 2004||California State Oriental Medical Association Exposition, San Francisco, CA.|
|Aug. 2004||American Chemical Society, Philadelphia, PA.|
|July, 2004||American Naturopathic Medical Association, Las Vegas, NV.|
|May 2004||Seminar: Integrative Medicine in the Treatment of Cancer. Five Branches Institute, Santa Cruz, CA.|
|Jan. 2004||Seminar: Integrative Medicine in the Treatment of Cancer. Gerber Medical Clinic, Reno, NV.|
|Jan. 2004||Seminar: Integrative Medicine in the Treatment of Cancer. Amitabha Clinic, Sebastopol, CA.|
|Nov. 2003||Lecture: 2nd International Congress on Tibetan Medicine. In Pursuit of Partnership: Philosophy and Practical Applications for Integration, Washington DC.|
|Oct. 2003||Seminar: Integrative Medicine in the Treatment of Cancer. Amitabha Clinic, Sebastopol, CA.|
|Oct. 2003||6th Annual Conference on Integrative Approaches to the Prevention & Treatment of Chronic Diseases & Aging, Nevada Homeopathic & Integrative Medicine Center, Las Vegas, NV.|
|Sept. 2003||Seminar: Integrative Medicine in the Treatment of Cancer. Calgary, AB. Canada.|
|Aug. 2003||Lecture: 31st Annual Cancer Convention, Modified Citrus Pectin in the Prevention, Control & Spread of Cancer, Cancer Control Society, Universal City, CA.|
|May 2003||American College for Advanced Medicine, The Role of Modified Citrus Pectin in Treatment of Prostate Cancer, Washington D.C.|
|May 2003||Lecture: Ayurvedic Conference in Berkeley, CA: TCM Perspective on Blood.|
|Sept. 2002||Lecture: Integrative Medicine and Nutritional Updates in Prostate Cancer. Nevada Homeopathic & Integrative Medical Association Annual Conference, Lake Tahoe, NV.|
|Feb. 2002||Lecture: Nutritional Updates in Immunity and Cancer. Orthomolecular Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.|
|May 2001||Lecture: Integrative Medicine in Prostate Cancer The American College of Advancement in Medicine Spring Conference.|
|May 1999||Lecturer at the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, Annual Scientific Conference – Chicago IL.|
|Sept. 1997||Lecturer at the American Cancer Society Prostrate Cancer Public Forum, San Diego, CA.|
|May 1997||Co-Chair and Lecturer at symposium – A Comprehensive Approach to Prostate Cancer, University of California San Francisco.|
|1996-1997||Seminar Leader and Lecturer at North American and Israel seminar series on an integrated approach to the immune system and other topics in complementary medicine for physicians and health practitioners.|
|1996-1998||Lecturer at various conferences on cancer and immunity.|
|1991-1992||Director of one-year course in Traditional Chinese Medicine for Medical Doctors and Licensed Acupuncturists, Marin County, CA.|
|1988-1989||Creator and Director of the Alternative Medicine Project, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Faculty of Agriculture, External Division.|
|1988-1989||Member of General Teaching Committee; Member of Acupuncture Teaching Committee; designed syllabus, presented primary lectures and administered the examinations.|
|1982-1989||Director and Teacher for health professionals and public courses in shiatsu, yoga and yoga therapy.|
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Society for Apheresis (ASFA)
- International Society for Apheresis (ISFA)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M)
- Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO)
- U.S. Patent #10213462 – Galectin-3 plasmapheresis therapy
- U.S. Patent #9549953 – Galectin-3 plasmapheresis therapy
- U.S. Patent #9649329 – Binding of galectin-3 by low molecular weight pectin to reduce fibrosis
- U.S. Patent #9427449 – Binding of galectin-3 by low molecular weight pectin to reduce inflammation
- U.S. Patent #8916541 – Synergistic combination of honokiol and modified citrus pectin in cancer therapy
- U.S. Patent #8764695 – Reduction of galectin-3 levels by plasmapheresis
- U.S. Patent #8426567 – Method for enhancing mammalian immunological function
- U.S. Patent #7452871 – Composition and methods for treating mammals with modified alginates and modified pectins
- U.S. Patent #7026302 – Composition and methods for treating mammals with modified alginates and modified pectins
- U.S. Patent #6462029 – Composition and methods for treating mammals with modified alginates and modified pectins
- U.S. Patent #6274566 – Methods for treating mammals with modified alginates and pectins
- U.S. Patent #5874093 – Cosmetic composition containing molecular oxygen
- U.S. Patent #5422100 – Method and product for treating skin afflictions
|Aug. 2018||SBIR NIH NIGMS Phase I Grant Award Number R43GM130227. Phase I Project Title: Depleting Circulating Galectin-3 with Therapeutic Apheresis: A Novel Treatment for Sepsis/AKI.|